Frequently Asked Questions about Wellisair
Installation, use and maintenance
Wellisair comes with two different installation options: using a freestanding base or a wall bracket.
- Freestanding base: simply position Wellisair onto the base (there is no need to fix the unit to the base).
- Wall bracket: fix the bracket to the wall using the 4 fixing points (all fasteners are included) and mount Wellisair onto the secured bracket.
We recommend positioning the unit at a height of about 1.5 metres, maintaining a minimum distance of 60cm from any other wall or ceiling.
Positioning your unit in a ventilated room will also help to maximise its purifying power.
Wellisair is equipped with a display panel with a series of touch buttons and indicators, making it easy to use and check the unit’s current condition.
There are two control buttons for using this unit:
- ON/OFF: Touch this button to start or stop the unit.
- Night mode: Touching this button when the unit is switched on will reduce the fan speed and turn-off the air quality Led indicator light.
There are just two maintenance tasks that need to be carried out regularly:
- The liquid cartridge should be replaced every 3 months, or when the unit instructs you to do so.
- The filter should be shaken clean once a month. This is located on the right-hand side of the unit (when looking at the display panel).
Follow the below steps:
- Turn off the unit.
- Take the unit down from the wall (if using the bracket).
- Unplug the unit.
- Open the panel at the back where the cartridge is located and remove the empty cartridge.
- Unwrap the new cartridge, remove the disk sealant and place the wick inside the cartridge.
- Re-insert the new cartridge, being careful not to spill anything inside the Wellisair unit.
- Close the back panel, plug the unit back in and place it back in its original location.
- Cover the empty cartridge with the cap and disk sealant from the new cartridge.
- Take the sealed cartridge to an authorised waste disposal centre.
If the warning light is displaying, this can indicate two problems:
- The cartridge has finished and needs to be replaced with a new one.
- The new cartridge has not been inserted correctly, which means you should turn off the power and reposition the cartridge correctly.
The Wellisair unit consumes 300mA at 12V (3.6W per hour).
Yes, this is possible, providing that you have an outlet that uses a standard power cable and connector jack which fits the units own connector.
The device will work between -5ºC and 40ºC.
How Wellisair Works
The unit is designed to purify an area of around 60m2 (or 300m3), provided that there is a good enough air circulation to allow the hydroxyl radicals to reach all areas of the room it has been installed in.
However, Wellisair works by generating a chain effect to purify and amplify the total area being cleansed, increasing the total size of the area that it can purify.
Wellisair devices are designed to be used in a maximum room size of 60m2. If the space you are using has good air circulation and the full surface of the objects in question are in direct contact with the air, the unit can disinfect any object in 4 hours.
For any objects which can’t be kept in direct contact with the air on all sides (such as clothing), you would need to turn them over every 4 hours, meaning that disinfection would take 8 hours for these kinds of objects.
Placing objects in a smaller space can reduce disinfection time by the same space-to-time proportions. For example, in a room of 25m2, 2 hours would be sufficient time on each side, meaning that for any objects which require two-step purification, 4 hours would be sufficient.
We have also developed some test strips which can be used to check whether the disinfection process has been carried out correctly. Therefore, for any cases where disinfection may take less time than normal, these strips can be used to check if disinfection is complete, which avoids you having to keep these objects in this room for longer than necessary.
- It eliminates 99.9% of bacteria and viruses from the air or any surfaces.
- It eliminates any bad smells, leaving your surroundings odourless.
- Reduces PM1, PM5 and PM10 particles that can be found in the air.
- Reduces Volatile Organic Compounds (VOCs)
- Reduces potential allergens.
Yes, depending on the pathogen and humidity levels, around 60% of pathogens could be eliminated in about 10-12 minutes.
Yes, if there is good air circulation between the consultation rooms, i.e. doors are open and the air can flow from room to room, one unit could be sufficient.
However, in order to guarantee that all consultation rooms are disinfected effectively, ideally, you would need one unit in each room.
This would depend on the outside air quality. If this air is dirty and full of pollutants (for example, city air), this is not advisable, as although it could help to remove possible pathogens that may be brought in by the patient, it would also let in a large amount of pollutants that are present in the outside air.
On the other hand, if the outside air is largely free from pollutants, we do recommend opening windows, as this would help to ventilate the consultation room and disseminate the purifying effect.
No, the chain reaction won’t last very long after the unit has been turned off. The average lifespan of a Hydroxyl Radical is 100 picoseconds, meaning that the reaction would need to be maintained from the very beginning, as it gradually declines due to the inactivation of the pathogens themselves until there are none left.
No, the electrical charge of a Hydroxyl Radical emitted by the Wellisair is neutral, which means that it won’t react with any materials other than pathogens.
Technology - Alternatives Against COVID-19
No, the United States Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) completely advises against this, as it can irritate mucous membranes.
This could be a good option in terms of how quickly it works. However, it’s important to bear in mind that in order to effectively eliminate pathogens, you would need a wavelength of between 200-280 nanometres (specifically around the 265nm mark), which burns the skin and eyes. For this reason, no persons should be present during the disinfection process.
Not only that, but we still don’t know the full effect that UV rays can have on exposed surfaces.
Lastly, UV rays only work on the direct surface that they are being shined on, which means that all surfaces would need to be cleaned prior to use. This could cause the risk of a bad reaction with any products that were used to carry out the preliminary cleaning process.
This equipment is relatively inexpensive and offers both manual and electronic options. However, there are currently no available studies to demonstrate the effects that they could have on the COVID-19 virus, nor the time required to eliminate it. This equipment comes in various different types:
- Products containing Hypochlorite: these types of products are effective on hard surfaces but can damage fabrics and are highly oxidizing on hospital machinery.
- Hypochlorous acid: this is a highly virucidal and bacteriostatic acid. It can be used on hard and partially porous surfaces.
- Advanced Oxidation Processes: just like hypochlorous acid this is highly virucidal and bacteriostatic, but also friendlier on the environment and your skin. It is perfect for use on fabrics and hard surfaces, either partially porous or porous. As this is an energy-efficient device, it can be used while you work and we recommend using it 24-hours a day.
- Quaternary ammonium: are bactericides, although they’re not as effective on the virus as the others. For this reason, we don’t recommend their use, although they are good for using on hospital machinery.
Wellisair Technology – Viruses and Bacteria
Wellisair uses an Advanced Oxidation Process (AOP) based on Reactive Oxygen and Nitrogen Species (RONS), more specifically the Hydroxyl Radicals (OH–). These reagents oxidize the membranes of viruses and bacteria, producing a chain effect that accelerates the death of viruses and bacteria. Additionally, once the membrane has been penetrated, it oxidizes the genetic information of these microorganisms, which inactivates them.
It should also be mentioned that there are only three bacteria that have an antioxidant system, although it’s not sufficiently powerful to fight against the Wellisair advanced oxidation effect. Therefore, these bacteria will also be neutralised (for example, see the reports on the virus: 20200228, 20191212_3 or on bacteria: EM20150002, 027128)
Wellisair Technology - Improving air quality
Wellisair reduces all gases that are carried in the air (bio-aerosols), as well as any atmospheric particles (PM).
Thanks to the Advanced Oxidation Process, it oxidizes Volatile Organic Compounds, transforming them into inert harmless compounds. On the other hand, by oxidizing the PM, these particles gain weight and fall to the ground, stopping them from being breathed in by anyone you.
Wellisair Technology - Eliminating Odours
The odours you can smell are Volatile Organic Compounds (VOCs) in a gaseous state that are released into the air upon changing state from a liquid or a solid. Wellisair technology breaks down these products into completely odourless elements.
Technology Wellisair - Fresh Food Preservation
Fruit and vegetables naturally release ethylene into the air, which is what also causes and accelerates the ripening/decaying effect in foods.
As ethylene is a Volatile Organic Compound (VOC), it will be neutralised by the Wellisair device, delaying both the ripening process and any possible contamination from any other rotten food.
Wellisair Technology - Can it Affect People?
These types of radicals are produced naturally in the ambient air, as part of its own natural cleaning and purifying process. Oxidising agents (which includes the Hydroxyl Radical) are produced naturally when natural gases in the atmosphere are exposed to sunlight.
This molecule is often referred to as “the atmosphere’s detergent”, as it reacts with a large number of pollutants and plays an important role in eliminating greenhouse gases.
Whilst it’s true that Hydroxyl Radicals can lead to a chain destruction effect on cell organisms, the human body is able to neutralise them easily.
The biological lifespan of OH· is very short, which means that it react very quickly with anything that it come into contact with and causes a chain reaction to decompose other elements in order to “steal” an electron from them for its own self-stabilisation. The human body generates enzymes that are capable of neutralising this action, such as Catalase or Dismutase.
Yes, a scientific study was published by the IJOER magazine which is titled “Evidence of OH• radicals disinfecting indoor air and surfaces in a harmless for humans method”
Furthermore, the emissions from Hydroxyl Radicals have actually been measured, and the resulting production measured in at 0.64ppm. Given that the U.S. Occupational Safety and Health Administration establishes a limit of 1ppm for a maximum of 8-hours a day, this demonstrates how OH- radicals are not harmful to the human body.
Yes, it has two antioxidant systems:
- Endogenous: these are naturally produced by the body. For example, antioxidants that are found outside of cells which include Albumin, Bilirubin, Ceruloplasmin vs. those found inside cells, such as Catalase, the Q Enzyme, Ascorbic Acid (otherwise known as Vitamin c), Vitamin E, and Uric Acid.
- Exogenous: these are either obtained by ingesting foods with antioxidant properties or via an intravenous injection of antioxidants. For example, some antioxidants that can be obtained from foods are Zinc, Selenium, Ascorbic Acid, and Vitamin E.
Large concentrations of Ozone can be harmful for the respiratory system, but the Wellisair device only emits very small amounts of Ozone which does not pose any problems for the human body.
In order to prove that Ozone emissions from this device will not have any harmful effects on humans, the Ozone level was certified by the American standard “UL 867 Electrostatic Air Cleaners” for electrostatic air purifiers.
Ozone is a very powerful disinfectant and it is essential to ensure that it is never emitted in concentrations of more than 0.050ppm, as this could affect a person’s health. The Wellisair Ozone generator controls and generates the exact ozone quantity necessary for reacting with the essential oils found are inside the device for the purpose of diffusing Hydroxyl Radicals in order to produce an Advanced Oxidation Process (AOP).
Limonene is a natural essential oil that is considered to be a broad spectrum bactericide. It will have no effect on humans as the cartridge wick only expels a very limited amount – just 0.4 grams every 24 hours. Such low concentration levels have no effect on the human body.
However, you should exercise caution when handling and replacing cartridges and avoid this liquid from coming into contact with your skin, eyes, nose or mouth. Never inhale or ingest Limonene.
In the event that any of the above-mentioned situations should occur, seek urgent attention from the healthcare authorities, citing the code for D-limonene (Dipentene) CASE Nº 5989-27-5.
No, in fact, it is beneficial for you as it will eliminate any viruses or bacteria, at the same time as improving air quality, eliminating any odours, and helping to conserve any fresh food such as fruit and vegetables.
Yes, as it has no effect on people. The human body also has a tripe antioxidant protective system.
No, quite the opposite, as it would help them to keep the air free from pathogens which could inflame their condition.